D. Eytan / R. Lahav-Rigg
Architects & Planners
© D. Eytan / R. Lahav-Rigg
Christ Church Compound, Old City, Jerusalem
Ruth Lahav—Tony Rigg Architects, 1979-98
Client: Israel Trust of the Anglican Church
Built area: 2,800m²
Structural engineer: Jacob Ackbert, Herzlia
Heating & Plumbing services: Ishar Ironi, Jerusalem
Electrical engineer: Itkin - Blum, Jerusalem
- The Area
The Christ Church Compound, situated just inside the Jaffa Gate of the Old City, was constructed between 1830 and 1915.
A variety of buildings surround the Church itself, which over the years have served as residence of the British Consul, a school, a hospital, residential and hostel accomodation.
Today it functions as a 40 room hotel, and a centre for the Protestant Community of Jerusalem.
- Design Concept
Renovation and extention works have been carried out in small stages since 1979, the last stage being the addition of a floor over the dining room, and redevelopement of the main courtyard.
The work has progressively upgraded the hotel accomodation, integrating modern electrical, plumbing and heating services and bathrooms into the historic structures.
The kitchen and dining facilities have been upgraded, reception and administrative offices provided, along with a large meeting and lecture room.
Staff housing in the compound has also been upgraded, the courtyard redevelopement allows vehicular access, while creating a garden seating area, and a pergolar covered extension of the dining room.
Throughout the work we strived to maintain the special form, qualities and atmosphere of the historic site.